Interviews of Prof. Steve M. Potter about the lab’s research and other related topics
Scale Separation: What is the level of detail needed for whole brain emulation?
Carboncopies Foundation had an online symposim and panel discussion on Sept. 20, 2020.
Whole-brain Emulation Interview on YouTube
Brain Inspired Podcast, Episodes 1 and 2
In his first two episodes of the Brain-Inspired podcast, Dr. Paul Middlebrooks goes deep into our research on getting cultured nets to learn with distributed electrical stimulation, plus lots of other topics such as the Maker Movement and citizen neuroscience. (recorded on 12 June 2018)
Episode 1: BRAINS in DISHES
Brain Inspired Podcast, Episode 101
To celebrate his first hundred BrainInspired podcast interview episodes, Paul invited me back to talk about my new book on student motivation, and lots more! (recorded on 1 February 2021)
Wetware Meets Hardware
Cyborgs are not just science fiction – they’re becoming reality
ET Counsel podcast with Jurgen Vollrath on The Future of AI on 11 March 2016
How might neuroscience research impact Artificial Intelligence?
I was interviewed in 2015 by futurist Katja Grace of the Machine Intelligence Research Institute about the overlaps between neuroscience and AI, two fields that I feel don’t overlap enough. The potential for making more brain-like computers is huge and is progressing way too slowly.
Here you can read the interview.
- Georgia Tech Biomedical Engineering’s “What’s the Buzz?” podcast with Candice Cheung and Dr. Joe Le Doux, Episode 13 about the Maker Movement 8 March 2016
BBC Radio4 Frontiers with Roland Pease: “Build me a Brain” episode 12 June 2013. Starting around minute 22, Potter lab grad student Jon Newman explains our closed-loop optogenetic neural interfaces with cultured networks. Dr. Newman is now leading OpenEphys to make this technology available to anyone.
Web article to go with the BBC Frontiers piece 14 June 2013. PDF version of this article.
- Big Picture Science with Seth Shostak and Molly Bentley “Emergence” episode 13 October 2013
- Atlanta Science Tavern talk about Neurally-controlled Animats meeting #27 from 27 October 2012. Includes audio and slide show
- 50th Anniversary of AI, Neural Interfaces, starting at minute 24 50th episode of the Robots Podcast with Sabine Hauert 23 April 2010
- Neurally-controlled animats and other things (starting at minute 28:20) on the Robots Podcast with Sabine Hauert 14 August 2009